Inspire creative play and skip the junk toys that will never be used again with these creative Easter basket ideas.
Easter was always my grandmother’s favorite holiday. As a child her enthusiasm was infectious. She would ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’ over the colorful eggs, making us feel like little Picassos with egg dye. As a parent I want to continue the joy I felt with this holiday, and one way I’m doing that is with creative Easter basket ideas. The Easter basket themes below make me excited to see the kids faces on Easter morning.
Three Fun Themes – creative Easter basket ideas
Links included are Amazon affiliate links, should you purchase through them you support this blog at no extra cost to yourself. I’ve included a book idea with each theme as well, obviously all of these depend on your basket size (and how much room the chocolate rabbit takes up ;))
Spring Art Basket Ideas:
This Easter basket theme celebrates spring with goodies that get kids outside to do some spring art projects. They can go on a photo-scavenger-hunt, draw the flowers coming up in the yard, or make a “smash book” of all the things they love in the nature of their own backyard.
- Colored pencils – if you already have the basics, maybe try something fun like florescent pencils or watercolor pencils. Eboo has art supplies in adorable packaging and matching sketchbooks. If you get watercolor pencils, I recommend getting a watercolor brush pen to go with them.
- A Good Quality Pencil Sharpener (Getting a good one means you won’t constantly break the colored pencil lead.)
- Watercolor paints
- Kids Camera
- Spring Stamps Kit
- Sun Print Kit
- A Smash Book to add photos, leaves or drawings to.
Fun in the Garden Ideas:
As the ground thaws and bulbs bloom, we start thinking about the garden treasures to come with warmer weather. A Garden themed Easter basket can get kids ready for digging, planting and growing. Weather they’re making a fairy garden or a veggie garden, these Easter basket fillers will be inspiring.
- Gardening Tools
- A Fairy for Your Garden or maybe a tube of small fairies if you’re making a fairy garden in a pot.
- Wildflower Seeds for your area
- Tomato Growing Kit
- Sun Hat
- Kid Safe Lip Balm with Sunscreen
- Magnifying glass (Just beware that you go over rules of using it to start fires -says the mom with a little clan of future pyrotechnicians…)
- Bird Bell or other bird seed to attract winged friends
- A Bird Book or Nature Journal
Classic Play Ideas
Some childhood toys are just classics. This selection of treats for Easter baskets includes the king of good old fashioned play that’s still fun today.
- Play-Doh And if you don’t have any yet, a few play-doh tools or cookie cutters go a long way towards fun.
- Sidewalk Chalk I like the regular shape best, but they do make very cute egg shaped sidewalk chalk too.
- Silly Putty Eggs – so you can show them the magic of picking up newsprint, of course.
- Squirt guns
- Jump Rope
- Easter Mad Libs Or if you decided to get a jump rope, maybe a book of jump rope rhymes.
Getting ready for Easter? You may also enjoy:
- Simple but *Special* ways to Dye Eggs
- 3 Easy Ways to Make Family Celebrations Really Special for Kids
- Creative Easter Egg Hunt Ideas on SheKnows.com