Art and creativity are proven to help brain development in kids of all ages, but some kids take to arts and crafts much more than others. If you need a gift for an artsy child you might be overwhelmed with the number of options out there, especially if you aren’t sure exactly what kinds of arts the child is interested in. Or if your child is interested in everything artsy, like mine is, you might find it hard to narrow down what they might love. Check out our top choices for best gifts for an artsy kid.
Crayola 140 Count Art Set- This art kit is the perfect starter kit for any young artist. Crayola designed this kit specifically for kids age four-six, and it includes 140 coloring supplies. The case helps to keep all the supplies organized and easy to use. If you want an art kit that inspires creativity and self-expression for pre-school and kindergarten age children, this is the best out there. Crayola is also one of the most trusted and popular brands out there because they are non-toxic and safe for kids.
- Includes 64 crayons, 40 washable markers, 20 colored pencils, 15 sheets of paper, and a case
- Helps build art skills
- Cultivates creativity
- Helps build confidence and self-esteem
- Safe and non-toxic
- Great for children age four and up
- Can choose from the themed Disney cases, glitter scrapbooking kits, or the classic rainbow kit
- Doesn’t include scissors, glue, paint, or pastels
The Crayola 140 Count Art Set is perfect for the budding young artist. You’ll find everything you need to get your preschooler interested in the arts. The fact that the markers are washable really seals the deal for making this one of the best gifts for artsy little kids.
US Art Supply 162 Piece Deluxe Mega Wood Box Art- When your child is ready to advance to more sophisticated art projects, the US Art Supply Deluxe Set is the perfect kit to help them explore mature techniques. Included in the package are full-size colored pencils, oil pastels, watercolor cakes, crayons, mixing trays, sketching pencils, paintbrushes, and more. The biggest perk in this deluxe kit is the sketchpads, watercolor paper pad, and a field sketchbook.
- A sturdy wood case for storage and organization
- Perfect for older kids ready for more advanced skills
- Includes 15-piece paintbrush set, palette, and color mixing wheel
- 162 pieces total
- Includes sketchbooks
- Not suitable for kids under three years old
This kit is all inclusive making it a perfect gift for older kids looking to advance their skills. The set isn’t suitable for children under three because of the small pieces. However, we recommend this kit for kids ages ten and up.
Air-Dry Modeling Clay– Modeling clay is a super fun crafting project that kids of all ages are currently loving. Air-dry clay is super convenient because it is easy to mold and dries completely in 24 hours. This package includes 36 different colors of non-toxic clay that is also eco-friendly.
- Air-Dry clay dries fast without a kiln
- Three dozen colors of clay included
- Safe materials that are non-toxic
- Flexible, soft, and easy to use
- Can be used for making slime
- No convenient packaging for organizing the clay after opening
- If you accidentally leave the clay out of the plastic bags it will dry up and not be usable
Clay is fun for helping build imagination and developing basic sculpting skills. The air-dry clay is perfect for kids because it is nontoxic, not messy like playdough, and dries fast so kids can keep their creations for a long time. With so many different colors available, you don’t even have to worry about painting and glazing this amazing gift for an artsy kid.
Arts & Crafts Supply Center– If your child is a crafter or you’re looking for the perfect crafting gift for a child, you need the Arts & Crafts Center by Kraftic. This kit comes with a red organizer with 20 drawers full of crafting supplies like felt, pompoms, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, frames, cards, and more. This kit is perfect for future scrapbookers and kids who love to create.
- Red organizer with 20 drawers included for keeping supplies neat and organized
- Dozens of different crafting supplies including foil shapes, popsicle sticks, gemstone shapes, stickers, markers, glitter glue, glue, colored pencils, bows, alphabet stickers, felt, feathers and more
- Great for kids over eight years old
- Small pieces make this kit dangerous for young children
- Drawers are tiny
This kit is perfect for older kids who love crafting, scrapbooking and creating. While the organizer and drawers are small, they work great for little hands and making sure the crafting supplies stay to a minimum if you don’t want your house overrun with glitter glue tubes, sequins, and feathers.
Elmer’s Glue Deluxe Slime Starter Kit– Every kid loves making slime, even kids that aren’t artsy. Slime kits get even the most unartistic kid interested in creating and playing with art supplies. This kit includes three bottles of clear school glue and nine glitter glue pens. The glue is non-toxic and kid-friendly for easy cleanup.
- Glue and Glitter included
- Nontoxic glue
- Can customize the color of slime since this glue is clear
- Does not include the baking soda or contact lens solution you’ll need to make slime
The only disadvantage to this kit is that you don’t get all of Elmer’s recommended supplies for slime making in this kit. You’ll need to purchase the recommended ingredients included in the instructions or the Elmer’s Magic Liquid. This kit still makes the perfect gift for artsy kids because even if they don’t make slime, every kid who loves art need clear glue and glitter glue. We also love that this glue is washable and non-toxic.
You can find lots of artsy gifts in local craft stores, toy stores, or hobby stores, but art kits are usually the best way to go for kids who love art in general. If you’re looking to inspire creativity in your artsy kid, choose one of our recommendations.