Toddlers are natural adventurers who are curious and love to explore, move, and experience new things in their world. Children receive tactile and sensory input through outdoor play that is directly related to brain growth and development, and we all know that the way we learn about the world is by being outside and a part of it; however, knowing the best ways to engage your toddler outside can be difficult. You can do a lot in your backyard with fun and stimulating outdoor games for toddlers.
Here are our favorite Outside Games for Toddlers:
Sports are a great way to get your little one outside and moving, and even toddlers can start learning basic sports skills such as kicking a ball, running and jumping. The Little Tikes Easy Score Soccer Set is colorful, exciting, and kid-sized, so your toddler can feel confident and have fun playing outside while learning fundamental soccer skills. Games like soccer also develop gross motor skills, teamwork, social skills, balance, and coordination.
- Exceptional durability constructed of heavy metal
- Designed for outdoor use
- Adjustable height to grow with your toddler
- Easy disassembly and storage
- Includes goal, net, soccer ball and pump
- The ball included is not a real soccer ball. It is made from rubber and blown up with the air pump. There are markings on it to make it look like a soccer ball, however.
- The goal and net do not come with stakes to hold it down.
- A storage bag is not included
Give your children the love of the game, while also spending valuable family time outdoors with this soccer set or other sports sets by Little Tikes such as T-ball!
Melissa & Doug is known for their educational, high-quality children’s toy and the Sunny Patch Dilly Dally Turtle Kickball is a ball that kids love to use during outside play. Teach your toddler basic gross motor skills through practicing kicking, throwing, bouncing, and catching. This kickball is designed to bounce high, be comfortable to hold, and highly durable for outdoor use. The fun and cute turtle painted on the ball will delight your little one.
- Designed for outdoor use from durable rubber
- Classic playground ball style perfect for bouncing, kicking and throwing
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination and gross motor skills
- Cute gender neutral turtle design
- If left outside for long periods, the rubber can develop cracks and deflate. Make sure to store inside or in the garage or shed.
You can’t go wrong with Melissa & Doug brand toys. They are known for their excellent quality and educational toys for both indoor and outdoor use. Make sure to also check out their puzzles and learning toys.
Children love playing with parachutes, and the Sonyabecca parachute is a great way to promote cooperative play while also staying active and working on upper body strength. The parachute is 5 feet in diameter making it the perfect size for outdoor play with the whole family. Mom, dad, brothers, and sisters can all play together outside with this fun and colorful parachute.
- Nine evenly spaced and reinforced handles for exciting group play
- Encourages cooperative skills and team building
- Helps develop social skills and upper body strength
- Center reinforced with mesh in the center to allow airflow and safe play
- High-quality polyester taffeta fabric
- Includes storage bag
- The parachute is not machine washable
The parachute game is a fun outdoor game that is carried over into school physical education time as well. Helping your child play with a parachute will help them learn this play skill before going to school and give them something to look forward to and get excited about!
Your toddler may be too young to spend a day fishing with you on the lake, but you can start teaching them excellent outdoor skills as soon as they can stand up with the Little Tikes Fish n Splash Water Table. Start talking about animals, learn to count, have fun playing in the water, and developing problem-solving skills with this fabulous outdoor game. Your toddler will love filling up the fishbowl and watching the water tip over and splash into a wave. They’ll be delighted by the launcher that springs little plastic frogs onto the lily pad that spins in the middle.
- This water table includes many different ways to play and have fun outdoors
- The table is very durable and made for outdoor use
- Includes fishing pole, five floating critters, fishing net, and water cup
- Easy assembly! No tools required!
- Works on developing fine and gross motor skills
- Holds up to 7 gallons of water
- The lily pad needs to be spun by hand and is not motorized
- The height is not adjustable; legs snap into place
If your toddler is a sensory seeker who loves water and outdoor play, a water table is an excellent addition to your backyard that provides safe and contained waterplay. Make sure to empty the table when you’re done with it since standing water attracts bugs and mosquitoes!
Every toddler loves bubbles, and the Bubbart Bubble Lawn Mower is a fantastic outdoor toy that will delight your toddler who is mastering walking. Your toddler will love mimicking the lawn work they see you doing, and you can introduce them to the outdoors through gardening games and roleplaying. The bubble lawnmower will activate your toddler’s imagination and fill them with awe and wonder as they control the bubbles coming from their new favorite toy.
- Encourages imagination and role-playing
- Introduces children to environmental concepts
- Blows up to 1,000 bubbles per minute
- Designed especially for tiny toddler hands
- Makes music sounds when blowing bubbles
- Comes with three bottles of bubble solution with bubble wands
- Great height for toddlers 24 months and up
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination, balance, and motor skill development
- Helps with confidence and self-achievement in toddlers
- Batteries not included, needs 3 AA batteries
The bubble mower is sure to be one of your child’s favorite outdoor games to play, and this one can even be used inside too! Your child will never get tired of being able to walk and push the mower, controlling the bubbles coming out.
Outdoor games are essential for toddler learning and development, and getting some good old vitamin D from being in the sunshine is always good for parents as well. Skip the cartoons and head outside for outdoor playtime with your toddler.