When your toddler is ill, knowing their temperature will help you decide what the best course of action is. Fevers are often the sign of a more severe infection, but a slight temperature isn’t always something you need to rush to the emergency room for either. Your pediatrician will let you know their guidelines on fevers, but you will need a good, reliable thermometer to make sure you are following their advice correctly. Here are our favorite thermometers for toddlers.
Vicks ComfortFlex- Your toddler might not sit still for temperature taking, but the Vicks ComfortFlex Thermometer takes a temperature in as little as eight seconds. The easy to read digital display will display the temperature reading and indicate green, yellow, or red to let you know how worried you should be. The thermometer can be used rectally, orally, and under the arm.
- Reading in eight seconds or less
- Easy to read digital display
- Can be used rectally, orally, or under the warm
- Can be programmed for Celsius or Fahrenheit
- ComfortFlex tip makes insertion more comfortable for your toddler
- Storage case and batteries included
- Clinical results show temperature results could take up to 38 seconds
The Vicks ComfortFlex Thermometer is a super affordable option and the perfect size for travel. The read times vary on this thermometer and can take anywhere from 8 to 38 seconds to read. Using the ComfortFlex rectally will yield the best results.
iProven DMT-489– The iProven DMT-489 thermometer is one of the best forehead thermometers on the market. With one quick swipe across your toddler’s forehead, you’ll get an accurate digital reading of your toddler’s temperature. This thermometer is using to use and gentle enough that you can take your little one’s temperature in the middle of the night while they are sleeping. Our favorite part of the iProven DMT-489 is the dual-mode that allows you to take temperature by ear as well. You can get a temperature reading in as little as one second when you use ear mode.
- Dual-mode Forehead and Ear
- Temperature reading in as little as one second
- Gentle and easy to use
- Intelligent fever alarm that will light up red if a fever is detected
- 100 day no questions asked money-back guarantee
- The ear mode is an actual temperature measurement while the forehead is predictive measurement. Sometimes the forehead measurement will not be consistent when the temperature is taken multiple times.
The iProven DMT 489 is a clinically approved digital ear thermometer that is highly rated on Amazon and easy for parents to use. Parents can save up to 20 measurements so you can track your toddler’s illness. We love that you can use this thermometer dually in the ear or forehead. The ear mode is exceptionally accurate and consistent with temperatures reads faster than any other thermometer on the market.
Kinsa Smart Thermometer– If your family loves smart technology, the Kinsa Smart Thermometer is the perfect pediatrician approved, and FDA cleared digital thermometer. The Kinsa can be used orally, rectally, or under the arm and reads temperature in eight seconds or less. Connect to the Kinsa Smartphone app on your android or iPhone to understand your fever results better based on your age, weight, and other health factors. The app will let you know when to call the doctor or try over the counter medications first. There are even two games that toddlers can play through the app on your smartphone too!
- Pediatrician and FDA approved
- Easy to use for infants, toddlers, kids, and adults
- Professionally accurate
- Oral, rectal, and under the arm use
- Track family medical history and symptoms with the app
- You can use the Kinsa thermometer without the app, but you will have to download the app to set up the thermometer before the first use.
Tracking fevers, symptoms, and medications through the Kinsa app is super convenient and will help parents make sure their children are getting the best care. The app even connects to telemedicine, where you can consult with a doctor over the phone. You’ll need the app to set up the thermometer, but we recommend sticking with it and using all the fantastic advantages. This thermometer is also super affordable and easy to use.
Braun No Touch Forehead Thermometer- The Braun No Touch Forehead Thermometer is one of our favorites because you can use it for more than just taking temperatures of your toddler. You can use the thermometer for testing the temperature of baths, food, or other objects that may come in contact with your child. The No-Touch feature offers the ability to swipe across the forehead without touching the skin and still get an accurate reading. This is great for monitoring your toddler’s temperature while they are sleeping. The display allows glows yellow, red, or green to indicate the severity of the fever. The onscreen digital positioning system will help ensure you are using the thermometer at the proper distance, and light will direct the timing.
- Age settings to ensure you have accurate readings
- Measure temperature on water, food and other objects
- Use in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Includes 2 AAA batteries
- Color-coded temperature display
- Only forehead use
When your toddler is sick, their sleep is even more important, but we still need to take their temperatures and monitor their fevers. The Braun No Touch Forehead Thermometer makes it possible to take a temperature without disturbing your toddler. You’ll love how functional the thermometer is too!
When your child is sick, all you want is to make them feel better and get back to being healthy. One of these great thermometers will help you take care of your child’s health and make the best decisions for their care.