Resource Page for Starting Meaningful Conversation in Your Family
Printable Conversation Starters:
These conversation starters can be printed out to use as fun question to get conversation started at dinnertime, to tuck into your bag for when you’re waiting in line, or read a few and then remember them for when you’re driving together.
- Conversation Starters for the New Year – These are good anytime, but many relate to goals, plans and what you want in the coming year.
- Family Conversation Starters – Wonderful questions for really getting to know your kids.
- Beautiful Printable Conversation Starter Cards from Childhood 101 – these conversation cards include a few blanks for writing your own questions
Conversation Games to Play
Conversation games are so much fun for car rides, meal time…anytime you have a few moments with your family. They don’t require anything but conversation, and another nice thing about them is they often work for starting conversations even when kids aren’t in the mood to talk.
- Guess Three About Me – This game has brought out surprising answers about what our kids are thinking!
- 5 Classic Conversation Games – You probably have played these as a kid. Is your favorite here?
- Would Your Rather…? Printable Cards – The Measured Mom offers 48 printable cards with Would You Rather questions, great conversation starters for long car rides!
Ways to Listen Better:
Often times it’s not just about getting the conversation started – it’s listening while your child talks. These are articles about learning to listen better, not interrupt and deal with difficult topics.
- It’s Not Just About the Legos – That never-ending Lego description may be critical to the connection you have as your child gets older.
- The 17 Second Difference – Do you interrupt? Try this out and see!
- Responding to Kid Confessions – How can you respond when you child tells you something wrong that they’ve done?