Adequate sleep benefits every member of the family. Sleep deprivation can adversely affect life and work. Sadly, toddlers don’t understand sleep science. Toddler sleep clocks can give your child the visual and sound signals that help them to differentiate between sleep time and it’s-okay-to-wake-up time. During naps or quiet moments, these clocks serve as teaching aids for kids to learn self–regulation. If you have a toddler who wakes too early, these clocks are a great visual aid.
How to choose the best toddler sleep clock for your needs
The market is saturated with a wide range of clocks for toddlers. Often parents feel overwhelmed by the plethora of products on Amazon, eBay, Target and other big stores. When buying a toddler sleep clock, here are a few things to look out for:
- Power Source – do you need a clock that runs on batteries, or is one that must be plugged in alright? Many have both options, but check to be sure.
- Visual cues – Would you like multiple colors to indicate wake/sleep time for you child? Some clocks feature a green/red/yellow light option.
- Extra features – do you want white noise? a night light? music? Take a look to see what extra features the sleep clock has.
- Long term use – Would you like the clock to “grow” with your child? If so you may want to choose a more neutral design.
To make your job easier, we have compiled a comprehensive list of the top 5 toddler sleep clocks in the market. This list ranges from the simple time-to-wake toddler alarm clock to the sophisticated educational alarm clock.
Guide: Best Toddler Sleep Clocks
Bunny Kids Alarm Clock
The Bunny Kids Alarm Clock is an excellent clock for toddlers who are learning to adopt appropriate sleep-wake patterns. Its funny bunny ears appeal to toddlers who are learning to fall asleep without the help of an adult. The mild colorful night lights can help your child self-soothe especially while they listen to the lullabies on their favorite Bunny Kids Alarm Clock. This children’s sleep trainer clock also comes with a functional digital thermometer, touch control and a snoozer. What’s more, you won’t have to worry about replacing the batteries because this product features a rechargeable clock.
- Eco-friendly. It reverts to its energy-saving default mode.
- Serves as a cute decoration for the bedroom.
- Features night-light for children.
- No permanent screen display to distract the child – this can also be a con depending what you need
- Portable and durable
- Perfect for camping or travel
- Manufactured with non-toxic ABS material
- Includes self-soothing, adjustable ringtones
- Magnet allows it to be attached to metal surface
- The clock only remains visible when the clock is plugged in, otherwise it ‘goes to sleep’ after a few minutes of quiet – some users prefer this as it doesn’t keep kids awake with light, but some wish it stayed lit.
- Time display can be activated by the wrong vibration or sound e.g. birdsong from outside the window or the wind rattling the windows.
The only reason we aren’t too excited about this gear is because of its snoozer. This alarm clock has very easy snooze options. For instance, you can pause the alarm by simply holding down the snooze button, or rapping the table. Although the alarm pauses for just five minutes, there is the likelihood of oversleeping. The only way to get around this is to set the alarm clock ten minutes earlier than the normal wake time so that you can snooze the alarm twice and still not worry about being late. Nevertheless, the Bunny Kids Alarm clock is one of the best toddler alarm clocks.
My Tot Clock
My Tot Clock features almost every self-soothing gear your little one needs to fall asleep independently. With its interesting bedtime stories, its soothing lullabies and its irresistible white noise, your child will learn to rely on the clock for sleep instructions. The clock changes its colors each time it wants to communicate a new instruction. The color blue signifies the time for bed, yellow means wake up. Green signifies playtime while red stands for reflection time. Naptime is announced through a blue-greenish hue. You can play additional holiday stories and songs on this alarm clock.
My Tot Clock Pros & Cons
- Features night light
- The best white noise compared to the other children’s sleep trainer clocks we’ve used.
- Includes weekend wake up feature
- Portable and long-lasting
- Simple to use
- Includes a battery backup to be used when there’s no access to electricity
- Includes color settings that teach the child cognitive therapeutic behaviors.
- Programming this alarm clock requires plenty of time and patience.
- It is easy for the child to get carried away with the storytelling and singing routines.
The only feature we don’t like about My Tot clock is its time-consuming setup procedure. However, the clock is a delight the moment its fully set up and working. Your child will love learning with this clock.
It’s About Time Stoplight Sleep Enhancing Alarm Clock
It’s about time stoplight sleep enhancing alarm clock is popular among Sesame Street-enthusiasts. Toddlers can select from a variety of design options. You can also choose any three Sesame Street characters at any point in time. Whether your favorite three are Ernie, The Count, and Elmo, or Cookie Monster, Big Bird and Grover, the customized design setting gives everyone something to be excited about.
This alarm clock also has its own color-coded instructions. It features a traffic light that glows red when it’s time for the toddler to stop and go to bed. A green light and an accompanying beep instruct the toddlers to wake up and get out of bed. When the soft yellow light glows, the child knows that it’s almost time to sleep. You can also use the yellow light as a night light.
It’s About Time Stoplight Alarm Clock Pros and Cons:
- Electricity-powered and battery-powered.
- Its lights tell the child when to wake up and when to go to sleep.
- Features interesting characters and fun lights
- Serves as decorations for the toddler’s room.
- Takes time to couple and program
- A bit pricey when compared to the other alarm clocks.
The only thing we don’t like about this alarm clock is that it takes lots of time to program and personalize. However, we love it for its creative character-inspired designs and also its instructive traffic lights.
LittleHippo Mella Ready to Rise Children’s Sleep Trainer
LittleHippo Mella Ready to Rise is particularly perfect for toddlers and preschoolers who are still learning the numbers. Your toddler will enjoy following its straightforward, color-coded instructions. There’s a little face that shows up along with the color. When the clock has smile and glows green, the child knows it’s time to wake up. Red with a sleeping face, on the other hand, signifies sleep time. Quiet play or naptime (yellow) can be programmed as well. Its night light helps the child to self-soothe, especially when they awake in the middle of the night.
In addition, this clock is timeless. It’s super cute and stays relevant from toddlerhood through childhood. Many older children use LittleHippo as an alarm clock.
- Easy and straightforward to program.
- Its straightforward design permits children to use it on their own.
- Includes soft fun lights that instruct the child to sleep and wake at regular hours.
- Yellow light has been updated to be optional
- Light is too bright for some
- Clock must be plugged in, not great for travel
This alarm clock is simple to program and very effective in helping the child to sleep and wake at regular times.
These toddler alarm clocks go a long way to simplify the sleep-training process for both parents and children. The clocks feature educational tools, self-soothing gear and more. Consider investing in a good alarm clock for your toddler. It’ll help you get the beauty sleep you deserve.